On Thursday, January 26, we headed down to Children's Hospital for Brooke's follow up appointment with her surgeon. Sydney had spent the night and was spending the day with my mom so that we could give Brooke our attention 100%. We didn't have to wait very long which is always nice. The nurse weighed her and she was 29 lbs! That's a six pound weight gain since her got her tube on November 28, 2011. The doctor was very pleased with her gain. Since she hadn't had her tube taken out before the appointment, she was in pretty good shape. She does have some granulation so silver nitrate was applied. It burned a little so diaper rash cream was added to help soothe the area.
I changed her button and I'm pretty sure I'll be the one changing it from now on. It was very easy and it could be done by one person but it is nice having the extra set of hands. She doesn't have to go back until the end of July. :)
I looked online a lot for button covers and decided that I would make my own. I still need to perfect the pattern but I got an idea when the nurse mentioned that a lot of parents always ask about alternates to gauze and tape. Once the pattern is perfected, I could make up a bunch of these and send them to the hospital. Then the parents can choose a few to try out. I would have part of the proceeds go towards the hospital. I was also thing of making up little wet bags (bags with a waterproof lining) and put little handle on the bag so that it can be easily attached to cribs, strollers, etc. I'll have to research the materials used and see what can be bought within my budget. It's just an idea but hopefully I can turn into something that will provide us with a little more income.